Meet Joella Lucas
1. Where do you work and what are you working on there?
I work at Netherlands Maritime Technology (NMT) as a Trade Promotion Coordinator. I help our members with their export activities by for example organizing Holland Pavilions at international exhibitions and by organizing Trade missions all over the world.
2. What makes the maritime sector special to work in?
The Maritime sector is a beautiful industry to work in. I keep on being amazed about the technology and ships that we built here in the Netherlands.
3. Why do you need a platform like Young NMT and what do you hope to achieve with it?
I am one of the founders of Young NMT. There I noticed a lot of platforms for Young Professionals. But there was nothing yet for the companies (mainly SME’s) in the shipbuilding industry, our members. I also noticed at our own NMT networking events the same people came, and I missed new young faces. After talking to some Young Professionals at our members I heard that they missed a platform to come together with other Young Professionals. So that’s why I started Young NMT. With Young NMT we want to connect Young Professionals in the industry.
4. How can Young Professionals contribute to continuous developments in the market
They are young, fresh and ambitious. They come up with new ideas, they might think differently. I think our industry needs this to keep up with demands and to stay an innovative industry.
5. What do you think is the biggest challenge of the maritime sector and why?
The industry has a lot of big challenges ahead. Like staying ahead with innovations for the industry, but also attracting enough young personel.