Meet Rogier van Putten
1. Where do you work and what are you working on there?
I currently work for shipyard and marine service provider Neptune Marine in Hardinxveld-Giessendam. During the week I mainly focus on sales, marketing and strategy projects to further develop and grow the business.
2. What makes the maritime sector special to work in?
The (Dutch) maritime industry is a small world with loads of knowledge and experience, able to achieve impressive results worldwide. Moreover, the synergy between technical and commercial aspects, in an international playing field, is definitely one of the greatest things of working in the maritime industry.
3. Why do you need a platform like Young NMT and what do you hope to achieve with it?
It is great to have a platform within the maritime industry where you can easily meet and connect with other ambitious young professionals. Hopefully I’ll be able to expand my knowledge, create more connections and get inspired by new ideas. Wouldn’t it be nice to contact a familiar face (read young professional) directly if you need something?
4. How can Young Professionals contribute to continuous developments in the market?The maritime industry faces, like many other industries, a few major challenges. I truly hope that young professionals dare to challenge the industry and the status quo, to think about improvements and innovations on all levels, to keep and build an innovative and sustainable maritime industry.
5. What do you think is the biggest challenge of the maritime sector and why?
Alongside sustainability, the digitalization of the world is one the industry’s biggest challenges. Developments like big data lead to the fact that data is available almost anytime, anywhere and in any kind. To use the data in the right way and help the industry to optimize its operations, forces have to be combined, both in- and outside the maritime industry.