Marine Propulsion Electrical Drives Characteristics
The training series Marine Propulsion Systems is a unique technical and international oriented series of training modules for those who wish to acquire in-depth knowledge of the design of different marine propulsion systems. When you have completed the module ‘Electrical Drive Characteristics’, you will be able to decide which type of electrical drive component and/or system will be suited best for a particular vessel design.The theory is practised by means of exercises. Sign up
During this training module participants will learn about electric power systems and their main design aspects. The difference in electrical machines (such as AC and DC) will be explained, their working principles, as well as their components and several mechanical issues in the design and installation. The relation between machines, components, operating conditions and electrical propulsion concepts will be described and illustrated by means of real examples installed on board of vessels. Safety measures in design, installation and use of the electrical drive systems are an important topic and will be mentioned throughout the course. Knowledge of basic physical and electrical principles and theory required to understand the working principles of electrical propulsion systems will be explained by the teacher.
- Introduction to electrical propulsion systems and their components
- Electrical propulsion: design aspects, reasons for choosing electric propulsion (safety, noise and vibrations), propulsion concepts, installation, environmental aspects, operating conditions
- Power generation: voltage control, load sharing, diesel generator, isochronous control
- Electrical design aspects electric machines: AC, DC and asynchronous machines and their working principle
- Mechanical design aspects electric machines: bearings, temperature rise, cooling methods, protection of systems
- Dynamic positioning: design aspects for different propulsion concepts, (redundant) power and distribution, integrated automation system, vessel management and control, lay-out systems
- Standards for electrical propulsion
- Electrical components and their physical working principles: resistor, inductor, capacitor, diode, thyristor, transistor, rectifier, chopper
- Characteristics and types of inverters, converters and transformers
- Theory of electric power: Kirchoff’s first and second law, vector representation, complex calculations, 3-phase systems
- EMC: Electromagnetic Compatibility, Electromagnetic Emission and Immunity
- Electromagnetic fields, forces and inductions, incl. Faraday’s Law, Lenz’s Law, Lorentz’s Law
- Harmonic distortion and short circuit calculations
- High voltage installations: physical characteristics, safety, design high voltage switchboards
- Fuel cells: working principle, fuel cell types, installation
- Superconductive machines
- History and development of electric propulsion systems
This module is intended for designers and (sales) engineers who deal with the integration or the design of marine propulsion systems and in particular electrical propulsion during concept design phase. It will also be of interest to people who come across aspects of these systems during their (daily) work and who wish to learn more about the working principle of marine electrical propulsion systems. The international setting offers participants a unique opportunity to gain knowledge and to network with colleagues, clients and suppliers. This enables them to position their companies even better in the international shipbuilding cluster.
Netherlands Maritime Technology (NMT) organises the fourth module in close cooperation with Bakker Sliedrecht Electro Industrie BV. The lecturer is Paul Bracké, former Manager Technology at Bakker Sliedrecht Electro Industrie BV.
The 14th st & 15th of March 2023
09.00 – 17.00 hours
- Members € 1.225,-
- Non-members € 1.550,-
Excluding 21% VAT.
- When enrolling five or more participants from the same company you will receive a 10% discount.
- If you participate in multiple modules, we offer will offer you a discount on the totall price:
- 2 modules = 5% discount
- 3 modules = 10% discount
- 4 modules = 15% discount
- All modules you have registered for, need to be completed within 2 years.
- The discount will be deducted from the last invoice
Other modules of the training series
- Marine Propulsion Module 1: Propulsion Plant Concepts and Basic Ship Hydrodynamics (April 5 & 6, 2023)
- Marine Propulsion Module 2: Marine Internal Combustion Engines, (sustainable) fuels & emissions (May 9 & 10, 2023)
- Marine Propulsion Module 3: Propulsion system integration: Matching machinery and propeller (June 7 & 8, 2023)
All modules can be followed individually.
For more information please contact Jeannette Lucas, Training Manager at the NMT office via T +31 (0)88 44 51 043 or E email@example.com.