The Internet of Things (IoT) and blockchain are emerging new technologies in the logistics context that will become mainstream within the next 5 to 10 years, according to research organization, Gartner. Most people are familiar with IoT for smart applications in the living room, but less is known about the tremendous improvements IoT can lead to within the supply chain.
Blockchain technology makes it possible to accumulate generated data in a decentralized database and create a distributed ledger that keeps records of digital transactions. Data in the blockchain is unchangeable and digitally recorded in packages (called blocks). Blockchains are formed by blocks that are chained to other blocks, using a cryptographic signature. They are visible to anyone within a network with the appropriate permissions. This technology will have a major impact on supply chains, potentially reducing delays and making the need for intermediaries obsolete.
Programme and speakers
- Chairman is Mr. Alex Bausch, co-chairman of the Blockchain Ecosystem Network (BECON), which provides a platform for Blockchain methodologies and solutions. Mr. Bausch is a seasoned entrepreneur creating several global technology companies.
- Each Masterclass starts with an inspiring vision, offering a unique perspective for the maritime sector. For this Masterclass, an expert on blockchain will share the essentials of blockchain technology.
- IoT and blockchain technology will change the logistics sector. Mika Lammi, the head of IoT business development at Kouvola Innovation Ltd (an economic development firm, owned by the city of Kouvola in Finland), presents his vision based on a European project looking at streamlining the supply chain using blockchain.
- Frank Hermans, Head of Sales Engagement for IoT and Emerging Business, discusses how new technologies will help us collaborating in the logistics sector of tomorrow.
- Another case study will be presented by Jody Cleworth, CEO of Marine Transport International. He will discuss what it takes to create trust in a ledger and to apply it in the container freight sector.
Why should I attend?
In this Masterclass, you will learn about the principles of blockchain technology. You will get an understanding as to how IoT and blockchain technology will impact the shipping sector.
Who should attend?
Supply chain managers, innovation managers, business developers, purchasers, freight forwarders, port and liner agents, IT and OT managers, product developers, classification bodies and policy advisors.
Tuesday 7th of November from 14.00 – 17.30 (incl. network reception)
Attendance costs per Masterclass are € 99, – excl. VAT. If you register for all four Masterclasses a special all-in fee of € 325, – excl. VAT applies. Full time students will be able to apply for a discounted fee of € 25, – excl. VAT per Masterclass. The above cost of attendance includes entrance to the exhibition and a network reception or lunch.
Registering for the Masterclasses is part of the Europort 2017 registration procedure, during which you will be asked if you are interested in attending one of these events. This enables you to book directly online at the same time as registering to attend Europort 2017. Click to register.